Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Pizza...now that's what I call taco.

I ate a taco for breakfast this morning. It happened to be there, and it appealed to me personally, so I did it. Which made me think, why are breakfast foods what they are when lunch and dinner are so similar? Who decided that tacos and pizza and Mountain Dew are unacceptable breakfast foods for anyone other than starving (and let's face it) indolent college students? I personally think it's the idea that massive amounts of sugar will help us through the day, for those of us who put syrup on everything we eat in the morning, and go for the pastries above all. Although that doesn't explain all of the bran cereals out there. That pondered and out of the way...

So my good friend Traves has decided to forsake science and become a business man. This affects me because he will be the 3rd coworker in our little section of two to move on. The other two are in sections right next to me, so I still see them, but Traves is moving to Texas. I’m beginning to think it might be my fault. The other week will probably die in this section, but I go through at least one work partner a year. I for one can’t blame those who have gone on; I plan on jumping ship as soon as I can see another that isn’t sinking. But it sucks to go from working with a person who randomly puts chocolate in my drawer to utter uncertainty. I’ve been blessed with a lot of good coworkers, but there’s no way I can be as consistently lucky as I have been forever.

So Leon, my new section buddy, started yesterday I think. I haven’t met him, there’s a lot of pre-training that happens before you can officially train in the lab. I’ll call him Leon because his real name does start with an L. My own cleverness kills me, if my sarcasm doesn't first. Also, both his real name and his alias seem fitting for someone we’re fairly certain is actually Brief-case Carrying Guy, which seems exactly the type of person my supervisor would hire. Quite the fall I’ve suffered. My old supervisor went with the care-free candidates who would calmly shrug if the machine caught on fire--which unfortunately hasn't happened yet, and which works well with my apparently anal and somewhat tightly strung type--but New Supervisor is a micromanager and I expect anyone he would hire to be the same. It figures he would pull something like this before he himself leaves to climb the totem pole of power we have here at ACME Labs. One day the Immunology section is bound to turn into a pyramid of slightly littler replicates of my Now Group Manager.

2 comments:

Tickled Pink said...

some people have sensitive stomachs and they are the most sensitive in the moring. Tacos,pizza,hamburgers,and soda, for example, can make people very sick if consumed in the early hours of the day. Is this Leon good at tennis?

Angie said...

Because Tickled Pink's first tennis racket happens to be named Leon. I, for one, had a hard time following all your job-talk. I just can't last through that lingo. :) But that doesn't mean I like you any less