Saturday, July 29, 2006

Jimmy Buffet

So what can I say? Work has really sucked this week. I think it's probably good for Leon to realize this in the beginning, but what a crappy goodbye for Traves, who's last day is Monday. Basically at this point we're really behind for various reasons. I had to defrag our instrument's computer yesterday and the day before to make it workable. The one bright note is that Micro-manager has been gone all week, so we'll only see him Monday of our week. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a supervisor, but he pops out of nowhere and has some pretty drastic ideas he randomly implements, and sometimes it's nice to just be able to breath when working.

That said... I spent my first night in Salt Lake Wednesday. I figured it would be easier to get to work in the morning and I might as well. I only have limited things moved to my new place though, so that was the first and the last till next week. It was weird sleeping on such a small bed so low to the ground, but not as bad as I expected, which isn't surprising since I can sleep anywhere. But my room is nice, albeit a little echo-ey, but I got to work in 5 minutes flat.


Before that point I went to Graywhale Music with two friends I know from work, Sheidi and Golden Boy, to watch a Pete Yorn promotion--I guess that's what you'd call it. It was small--intimate if you will--so everyone could see him clearly, and it was pretty good. I hadn't really heard too much of Pete Yorn before this point, but he's okay. I think he's the kind of singer you can listen to a whole cd of and be content, because they're all good songs, but not wowed by it either, because though he's good, he's no David Bowie. Or should I say, "He's no Neil Diamond."
Basically I like his sound, but he's not legendary, so you could probably find several people who have a similar sound. But he plays his guitar well, has a pleasant voice, and his lyrics are not bad at all. On our way there it was incredibly windy and a little rainy. Me and Sheidi heard this loud pop/sizzle and saw sparks that I swear indicated the explosion of a power line. Random. Golden Boy met us there.

After we went to that we went and got pizza, and of all the things in the world, watched "So you think you can dance." I don't really understand why everyone I know is so into this, but they are. I was content to watch it as well, because Golden Boy is moving to Ohio in a month, so I won't have many more opportunities to hang out with him, and I could honestly have more fun throwing paint chips with these two people than doing almost anything else with almost anyone else. Some of the dances were painful for me to watch, but a few of them were really good. Mostly it was the commentary by my friends that made it so enjoyable. The judges were pretty funny to watch, though I'm not sure what gives them the authority to judge other people's dancing. I mean seriously, being a choreographer for the backstreet boys should count against your ability to judge dancers if anything. And I'm pretty sure the second judge was getting drunker by the minute, and the louder she got the harder it was to not laugh at her absurd statements, which were generally always positive. I think the real hook they set to make people continue watching is that you don't find out who will get kicked off for that night's performances till the beginning of the next show. But I haven't watched it again, so I have no idea the outcome of the one I watched. And t
here's my two cents on the subject.

No comments: