Something is beeping. I don't know what it is, I just hope it's not any of my instruments.
I was thinking about that comment by Clark just yesterday:) Along with a lot of other random things people said when we lived in the WV house, and on the California trip. Anyway, not only can I not make air solid, I can't make an actual legitimate product in my lab. So yesterday I threw abandon to the wind. I can't remember how that phrase is supposed to go, so I'll just pretend that it's right. My roommate was shocked at quite a few points in the evening, my taking a leaf from her book. We rushed through everything, and I was not all that exact in my procedures, or measurements. So basically if an experiment doesn't turn out, you have to think about what could have caused that to happen, then you insert it into your lab write-up. Seriously, this week there was a wealth of things to choose from. We were supposed to get needle-like crystals, and instead got fluffy wet toilet paper. I'm actually surprised it turned out as well as it did. We did get the right product weight, and while we did get a rather low melting point, we did at least get one that happened instantaneously. It was impure, but not that impure. Originally I couldn't get our product down the little plastic tube--It resembles one of the ones they squeeze the blood into from pricking your finger when you're donating blood. I finally took 3 of the little capillary tubes we use for blotting TLC plates (which are essentially the same thing but needle thin and tiny short) and stuck them in there one after another to move it down. Typically Aberrant was not in a good mood this week, because he was grading a bunch of stuff he was behind on and he has a screaming baby at home, so he insisted on minimal questions while he sat there and graded. Pretty sure it was pointed statement. And I was too tired to argue. I had taken my O Chem test, which I largely just guessed at, directly before this point. I was ready to go home. He actually doesn't care if we get it right anyway, so there you go. At this point I would just like to say how much I love the people in my lab, even though I hate the lab. My TA is nice, if not at all useful to me. Mr. Cynical is a punk, but fortunately that works in my favor as he amuses me. We're too much alike, Mr. Cynical and me. Everyone else in there is so nice. There's this kid who works at ACME, on the opposite week, who I think I'd marry if he asked me to. Of course, not really, because I'm pretty sure his wife and children might object. Anyway, the week before last he suction filtrated my product for me, when I had no idea how to, and I was at my breaking point. And then there's Pocket Ego. I love that kid to death. My TA actually coined that phrase yesterday, because my roommate said something like, "C----, I just want to put you in my pocket, and then I could pull you out whenever I want you to make me happy." Typically Aberrant then said something about how he wanted him as a pocket ego, so that he could tell him things like, "it's not so bad; staying up till 2 in the morning to grade papers--think of all the interesting infomercials you could watch at that hour of the morning." This kid is seriously put off by nothing. He gets excited about his experiments when they fail; he'll look at the product and how it turned out instead of how it should have been, and then he'll say, "this is so cool, I wonder what could have made it do that." #2 and I were walking out of the lab with him the other day, and he showed us a picture of his wife (I think he's been married for 2 months), and we asked him what she did. He asked, "for a living?" and we said, "no, with you." He told her that and she laughed. He's a pretty funny kid anyway, but just the fact that he finds every facet of life so interesting and exciting makes it so much more the so. But I can't ask him how to do anything in there, because he gets so excited in telling me how to do something, even if he has no idea how to do it. The fact of the matter is, he finds it more interesting to fail than to succeed, so I disregard what he says the moment I realize who I just asked. The lab was pretty short, no doubt because we did everything wrong, and we were out of there in under 2 hours.
I guess it's time for a new paragraph, if not a new subject. I got home, took a shower, watched an episode of South Park because #2 was watching it on Libo's lap top, and went to bed pretty much immediately after.
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What happened to utilizing paragraphs vs. one long narrative? We have t-minus about 3 weeks until Hobby's farewell. We need to plan a Londoll's night.
It was one experience, and I seriously couldn't think of an opportune place to put a paragraph break in there.
It's "throw caution to the wind" in case you're still wondering.
Post a Comment